Monday, September 26, 2011

Raquette Lake

Going into the trip I didn't exactly know what to expect. I had heard many different stories about Raquette Lake, some good and some bad. Either way I was excited to see what it was all about for myself. I have had a lake house in the Adirondaks my whole life, so I was more prepared for the wilderness than others may have been. I really enjoy spending time outdoors and being active, therefore, I new from the start that I would enjoy myself. Other than the early wake up calls, no napping, and endless amounts of bugs, I can truly say I had a good time at Raquette Lake. I loved going canoeing, hiking, and spending time with friends around the campfire at night. My favorite activity that we did was waking up early to go kayaking and see the sun rise. It was an amazing experience that I will never forget. I also really enjoyed building a stronger bond with the rest of my block and our teachers. We went into Raquette Lake knowing each other only as classmates and left as friends. This trip really brought us all together as a block and we also got to know 602 a lot better also. I was really surprised at how great our teachers were throughout the 3 days. It was so relieving to see them all as real people, other than just our teachers. They laughed and had fun with us, all while teaching us important aspects of teaching, such as team building and community sharing in the classroom. After leaving Raquette Lake, I can honestly say that I feel so much more comfortable speaking up in class or asking one of our teachers for extra help. As a student and a future teacher, I believe that this is extremely important and valuable. I also thought it was amazing to have the Thai teachers there with us also. They were so much fun and open to learn and grow with us. I loved talking to them and learning about their culture. Overall, I think Raquette Lake was an amazing experience and I think all students should get a chance to go there. I would definitely go again if I had the chance!

2 comments:

  1. I agree that Raquette Lake was such a great experience. I think that everyone should get the opportunity to go! I would love to go back some day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too i had such a great time in Raquette Lake! i would love to go back sometime soon and do some more activities.

    ReplyDelete